View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 06:11 AM

Default NLSD (New Lap Steel Day)

Last December I put in order with Todd Clinesmith to build me a lap steel. It's a Joaquin model with 8 strings (with wider than normal string spacing), 24.75" scale length, and a horseshoe pickup.

This steel is so amazing on several levels. It sounds amazing. I have a 1940 Rickenbacher panda lap steel with a horseshoe pickup. This Clinesmith has a very different tone than the Panda. I'd say while not an exact comparison, the Rickenbacher is like a Les Paul and the Clinesmith like a Strat. This may be due to the Rickenbacher having a bakelight body and the Clinesmith having a wood body. But just like a Strat, the Clinesmith has a lot of different tones it can create.

This Clinesmith also plays extremely well. It's a mystery to me why any 2 lap steels play differently from one another as it just strings suspended in the air. However, for some intangible reason, my intonation is better on the Clinesmith. It just FEELS better to play.

Todd Clinesmith lost his shop during the fires in Oregon last year. He is rebuilding his shop while still making steels. I ordered this one in December and it come yesterday. But it was worth the wait.