View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
Anyone else record with a Macbook Pro? The trouble I've been having is that sensitive condenser mics pick up the noise from the fan in my laptop. Because it's just me doing home recording, I have to be within reach of my laptop when I use my mics to record.

Does anyone know if there is a way to temporarily disable or turn off the fan in a laptop?

Hi mike…

Another remote option or two, move well away from the computer, and use a wireless mouse to start/stop recordings.

You could even use an extension screen and keep a wireless mouse in play. That way the computer could even set on the other side of a door/wall…no noise in the room with you.

In fact, an iPad can serve as a wireless extension screen to a Mac. It's called 'Sidecar'.

Doug Young's suggestion is excellent too.

Something else I have always done to take pressure off the CPU is record files to an external hard drive (rather on the same computer drive which is operating the system, and running programs).

My studio computer back in the day was only used to run the recording program and act as a host. All other programs were never in operation while the computer was recording. And I always made sure nothing was competing with the main computer. We even signed off-line when doing major projects. Just thoughts…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…