View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 05:49 PM

Per RP's request in another thread (post #5):
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=492015

I have always been intrigued by the sound of a twelve string on the recordings by John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, Leo Kottke and others that I like to listen to.

My first was a cheapo used Takamine in the mid-80's. It lasted a couple of years, was mostly uninspiring, then got traded for a six string something else. Over time, I missed having access to "that sound" and bought a Seagull S-12 with a cedar top. Cedar mellowed the jangly nature nicely and I kept that one for several years. Then one day I was engrossed in conversation with someone in the nice room at our local guitar store. My wife put a guitar in my hands and I started noodling absentmindedly while chatting. After a bout five minutes there was a sudden realization: "Hey this isn't a six string, but plays like one!" Sold. Taylor 354-LTD from 2002.

Most recently I acquired a custom Emerald X20-12 in carbon fiber. I only play twelve string about 10-15% of the time, so this was a fairly pricey niche guitar, but it is pretty awesome and requires no humidity or temperature maintenance. I can play it easily for an hour at a time, strummed or finger picked. My Taylor 354-LTD will be going up for sale at some point, likely in the spring.

A twelve string won't do everything -- some songs work great, and others not so well -- and sometimes more than a few minutes of twelve string is plenty, but it adds enough new flavor and texture as to be worth having. Not unlike my recent SDOTD Alvarez ABT-60 baritone - similar niche application.

I have used my twelve string as an alternative at week-long music camps. The six strings are primary and my callouses get plenty of workout between classes and practicing. My twelve gets taken to the evening campfire jams, to put wear on different parts of my callouses.