View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Well, a big brown truck delivered my new Grace Alix today. I spent the evening with the DI box. A problem presented itself immediately. -Because my Venue (and RedEye) are battery powered, I never gave much thought to the electrical plugs in this older mid 1950's house. In my guitar room, half the electrical plugs in the walls have the "third prong" and the other wall plugs are the old fashion two-prong type. "Of course" the wall plug I had in mind for my new DI box turns out to be unusable as it is the "two prong" type! So I ended up with the amp plugged into the west wall and the DI box on the East wall. (Both 3-prong) But... a very annoying "hum" or "buzz" was coming out the amp which has always been DEAD quiet! (I hate 60hz "hum") The only way I found to eliminate the "hum" or "buzz" is to plug both the amp and DI box into the same wall socket be it the west wall or the east wall. I do not quite understand what's going on.
Simply put the wiring in your wall is setting up a ground loop. By plugging both into the same outlet you eliminate that loop.
I would plug them both into the grounded outlet. Use an extension cord.