View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I have the Josie quilted maple guitar all strung up. I'm very happy with it's sound and playability and will try to get sound clips up on it in the next week or so. This is the third in my show spec series.

The top on this is a bear claw and quilted Sitka. It glistens in the light but is a devil to catch with a camera. I trying my best to show this in some of these shots;

It's not too hard to catch the figure on the back;

The bridge and fret board are Cocobolo;

The rosette is a bunch of mahogany, black and white wood purfling lines with spalted Tamarind in the middle;

I went with Snakewood bridge pins and bone saddle;

The neck is bound in Cocobolo with MOP side markers and a black purfling line against the Sugar Maple neck;

The headstock has three different kinds of maple. It has a quilted Western Big Leaf Maple overlay, Hard Maple core, and a maple burl back strap;

I get to play this one for a week or so while it learns it's new guitar identity then I'll put up for sale or save it for a show, whichever comes first.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
I had the fantastic opportunity to see this amazing guitar in person yesterday. I have seen some really nice guitars in my days, but this one made my mouth drop!!! As good as it looks in the pictures, it is 100 times more impressive in person. That back is truly 3 dimensional, you have to touch it to prove to yourself that it is a flat surface!!!! The absolute best thing is WHEN YOU MOVE THE GUITAR FROM SIDE TO SIDE OR END TO END JUST A HALF AN INCH, THE FIGURE MOVES AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing. It reminded me of one of those pictures that changes as you look at it from different angles. Then the DETAILS, the curves, the Cocobolo trim, the end graft, GEEZ it is all amazing.

Let me just say, I also think it is a steal for the price and am a little surprised that Mark did not price this higher. The sound is a nice full balanced sound, not anything like the bright sound maple gets maligned for. It is a steal for someone, and some of the most amazingly beautiful wood you have EVER seen.

addendum: I am not a paid spokesman for Hatcher Guitars hahaha!