View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I like the onboard delay. Once again, just to be clear, my amp is a Fender Champ 20. The tremolo is fantastic. The reverb is okay. The chorus is pretty good. The wah isn't bad but, even with the tones I like, they need to be pushed with the FX level, gain and volume to really get the full effect on most settings. I prefer to play at a volume of 3 or 4 and gain 3 or 4 or 5 and FX level around 5.

Can I get to a tone like John Mayer in this link.?? I'd like anyone to listen to the first 2 and half minutes. Or begin listening at about the 1:40 mark. His tone is just fantastic to me. How do I get there.?? Is his tone here what you would call clean with overdrive.?? Some reverb in there.?? He's playing with the dead doing Cold, Rain and Snow.

Also, I'd like to hear more about dynamic playing. I understand it to be technique. Harmonics. Hammer on's and pull-offs. Dynamic playing is about tone and tonal changes. Pick attack. It's how one colors their playing. Dynamics add culture to the music. Am I warm here.??.....

PLease keep this thread going. I'm learning a lot and I appreciate you all pitching in. And I really want to say this.... I'm playing really good right now. The new Yamaha electric is really just out of this world. I'm playing rythym in ways I never have before. And my melodies are prettier. I'm full on electric right now.!! Right when I didn't think there was an electric guitar made for me. Yamaha did it. And I love this little Fender amp. Powerfull.

Thanks everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygnOuNoBwek
I have been playing various versions of electric guitars since 1978 and I have been picking up pedals along the way. I have way more than I would like to admit.

In the end, I think a multi-effects unit that is not too complicated can be a huge help. Something like the Boss ME-80. I have it's older brother, the ME-70. They keep upgrading these things. Considering that so many well made pedals are around $150 today, the ME-80 at $300 seems like a good deal. It takes time to learn how to use these devices, and if you hate that kind of effort, maybe a multi-effects unit is not right for you.

I still have all my pedals. I think a good compressor can be helpful, but I don't think it's that good for giving you a John Mayer sound. It gives you a nice early Mark Knopfler sound, however. The pedal I used most of the time to give me the on-the-edge overdrive sound that John Mayer produces so often was the Boss Blues Driver.

I never liked a lot of effects or a lot of distortion, though I have always liked good reverb. And sometimes I like old fashioned tremolo. Mostly though I liked being on the edge and producing the overdrive sound depending on dynamics. Or a slight change in volume knob or volume pedal position can take you there.

I recently picked up a very inexpensive and yet great sounding pedal from Joyo that emulates the sound of a Fender Tweed Deluxe. It really does a very good job and sounds very convincing for $40. It provides a great deal of control and can put you on that edge between clean and overdrive very nicely. I have been having a lot of fun with mine even though I just got it a couple of days ago.

- Glenn