Thread: My First "Kit"
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Frets, Headplate, 12th Fret Inlay

Here's an update on the status of my mahogany/Adi deep body OM being team built by Larry Nair of Tahoe Guitars and myself.

We did some "element matching" with the 12th fret marker and the tuners/frets.

(1) Frets: The gold EVO frets are in.

(2) Inlay: After much consideration, we decided to put a classic "willow leaf" at the 12th fret. This is the only fretboard inlay. We used green abalone to match the rosette. I wanted something that was subtle and wouldn't detract from or dominate the overall look of the guitar.

(3) The quilted sapele headplate is on. It should really pop when finished.

(4) We fit the gold Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners to the guitar. The bushings won't be mounted until after the finish is complete.

Once again I have to say Larry has mad skills. Amazing what he knows and the skill with which he is able to execute these things. Thanks, Larry!

The next step is all me...finishing! I am diving headlong into applying a shellac-based finish (modified with a few other resins to improve durability). I plan to apply it with something of a French polishing method, though I will use a modern water-based pore filler. Otherwise it will be shellac, olive oil, alcohol, elbow grease and patience.

Enjoy the pics...

Click For Complete Set of Pics

Some of the 12th fret marker choices we considered:

And the final product (with the gold frets in)...

The headplate with tuners, frets and a mock nut. I love that quilted sapele!!!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually