Thread: cost of strings
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Taylor puts Elixir strings on their guitars not because they are the ultimate tonal choice, but because they last longer and sound better in a retail setting. That is a distinct competitive advantage, and other brands are jumping on the coated string bandwagon (EXP, Cleartone, Lifespan, etc). Many of us Taylor owners are perfectly happy with Elixir strings, however. Polyweb are fully coated and are slippery (and also sprout "fuzzies" when strummed). Nanoweb have only the grooves coated, with bare windings exposed. Less slippery, more finger noise, and feel more like regular uncoated strings. There is a place for both types.

Long before coated string were ever on the market, I discovered GHS White Bronze strings, with 52% nickel alloy. Those cost the same as most uncoated strings, but last 3-4 times as long as other brands (for me). In terms of the full life cycle, the White Bronze often beat Elixirs, but for guitars that don't get played very often Elixir is the way to go. YMMV.

String pricing discussions always remind me of owning an airplane in Alaska. When aviation gas went from under $3 to north of $5 a gallon a few years ago (while auto fuel went past $4 a gallon) I knew many pilots that essentially stopped flying. Never mind that owning an airplane costs about $5K per year in fixed expenses (insurance, tie-down or hangar, chart updates, annual inspection, other maintenance) before you ever turn the prop. Fuel is the least expensive element of that hobby. A simple 50 hour oil change is nearly $100 -- if you do it yourself -- and closer to $200 if you pay a mechanic.