View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 03:00 PM

For me it's a six-way tie:

*Little Wing - live version Royal Albert Hall 1969 - a beautiful song with massive performance energy.
*1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) - super examples of the unearthly sounds he could create.
*House Burning Down - humorous lyrics with anthemic playing. What a combination.
*Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - an in-studio 'jam' on a completed album cut that became rightfully legendary.
*Drifting - like Angel, a softer ballad, but with exquisitely gorgeous playing.
*In From The Storm - a preview of where he was heading, some progressive elements.

It's funny to hear people dismiss Hendrix from a vantage point 50 years after his death. Hendrix wasn't revolutionary for electric guitar because he was more technically advanced than anyone else on the planet.

He was revolutionary because he brought a suitcase full of new techniques and approaches that no one else was using and wove it into an instantly identifiable sound.

These days 9 year old players can 'out-Hendrix' the real thing. But none of them would be doing anything if Hendrix didn't invent it first.

I happen to prefer pioneers over those who come afterwards. Doing anything original in life involves huge amounts of courage, drive and vision.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 07-02-2020 at 03:13 PM.