View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
...My buddy is a Martin dealer and can get me the 000 for a lot less than what it's ticketed. I'm also debating saying screw it and getting a D-28. I lead worship at my church and do a lot of fingerpicking and strumming if style is a question...
If you can get a 000-28/D-28 around the $2K range or less it's a no-brainer IMO - you simply can't go wrong with a rosewood Martin, under any circumstances. That said, speaking as a 50-year church musician/hired-gun P&W-team guitarist (also bassist/banjoist/vocalist)/occasional worship leader, I'd have to ask what your total instrumental forces are; although you switch back and forth between strumming and fingerstyle, the number/type of other instruments and your specific role will determine which would be the better choice. If it's just you and another guitarist sharing a couple of microphones, you'll need to fill a good deal more sonic space than if you're working with bass, drums, multiple keyboards, and a full choir - in guitar talk, think "big box" in the former case, "small box" in the latter (one reason Taylor -12's and -14's have become such a favorite in church-music circles is that a smaller-bodied guitar will cut through a thick mix better than most - but not all - dreads and jumbos) - and you'll want to choose accordingly...

"Praise Him with stringed instruments..." - Psalm 150, TLB