View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Mahalo A Nui, Friends!

Aloha Friends,

After reviewing all of your suggestions & doing some homework, I've decided to try & make my own nylon string guitar after all. A friend has loaned me his '68 Ramirez to play in the meantime for a little while.

I don't think Port Orford Cedar is what I need either. And I still have a few sets of 85 y.o., even-grained, lots of lace German Spruce (got it in Germany over 40 years ago) & dead-quartered, brick-red Brazilian RW that I got from Lewis/LMI's Hart Huttig in the mid-70's (I think I paid $128/per set, Ha!) So I think it's time that I should use what I've been taking care of for so long, right? Haven't made a classical using those woods since '86. Get those scrapers sharp, alohachris! And just hope my hands hold up.

I want to thank each of you for your thoughts & suggestions in helping me get into a nylon string guitar. I learned a lot in the process & got a lot of info from the links you shared with me. Very grateful for your contributions.

Now, I've gotta get out my old classical drawings & plans & try to remember the classical-building process vs. the steel string process. I'm setting up my shop again. And also, I need work on my right hand technique (mine is sloppy & angled from 53 years of gigging on steel-strings).

Aren't guitars a GAS, guys! Oh, it never ends. It never ends.

Again, thanks for everything!

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 04-29-2017 at 12:49 AM.