View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM

I think a lot of it depends on the instructor on True fire.

Muriel Anderson & Frank Vignola also talk, but it's always about the technique or the song chord progression.

But my #1 rant has to be the videos that are intended for intermediate and above players which spend the 1st 5 minutes going over tuning the guitar.

If you can't figure out how to tune your guitar to the instruction, you're already in over your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Barry - just checked it out and yes, way too much talking. But hey, not every performer is a great teacher. Not every teacher fits your learning style. 11:18 minutes of teaching time devoted to tuning in DADGAD (And I'm not sure that I'm ready to put the tuning fork in my mouth)!

Since Jeff Sheetz took over Truefire's 'curriculum', it looks like they are trying to be all things to all people. More a shotgun blast of a lesson than a rifle shot. This is as opposed to say, Toby Walker's style, where he takes a basic concept (or tune) and builds layers upon it. I find the Truefire approach exhausting to work with as it is mostly technique based. I'd rather have a song-based lesson that teaches me techniques than vice-versa.

It's interesting to compare lessons and videos across instructors and sites. Nothing online has surpassed a good 'in-person' lesson, but sometimes it comes close. Right now, I am going back over some of Toby's older lessons to work on technique and I am playing with Tim Spark's "Fingerstyle Boogie Woogie" (Truefire).

It's a good day to have off after a wicked week.

best,

Rick

PS - One comment that Bensusan makes is, "Tuning is the first step to get you into "listening mode." That's a great observation, because IMO, getting into the zone (listening mode) is the key to making progress. I once had a live lesson with Martin Grosswendt where he instilled this into me and boy, what a difference that made. It's prestty hard to turn that into an interesting lesson, because it's all about being a part of the music and losing yourself to it.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop