View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpronline View Post
Thanks all. These are all great points and making me really think how I want to go about purchasing my next guitar. Since I would like a new one ( new for me, prob will buy used) for open mics, it sounds like I may want to find something I like to play and feel comfortable with, over a big price tag and sound quality, since I will need to put in a pickup.
Hi Kp

You are ruling out the possibility that the pickup is linked to the acoustics of the guitar? Not so…the attack, sustain, intonation, squeak of the strings, and tonal balance of the guitar will be reflected by most pickups.

Well…if you install a magnetic pickup (as in electric guitars) you won't reflect the acoustic properties, just the string attack, intonation and sustain properties.

All four of my acoustic guitars have K&K pickups in them, and my lowly travel guitar sounds far different through the PA than my best guitar…despite the fact it wears the same pickup and is played through the same sophisticated preamp.

I imagine if you coupled a less expensive guitar with a ToneDexter, you'd be able to pull the samples from any guitar. Then playing a less expensive guitar would sound like a more expensive one. Of course the ToneDexter is likely to cost as much as the guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…