View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
If you know how to adjust the truss rod/relief yourself and know how to
sand a saddle (if needed), is there any other reason to pay to have a professional do a setup on a new guitar? I don't do any nut filing, so if the
nut height is fine, what else could they do that I can't? This is assuming the
neck is straight and the frets are good.
Nothing wrong with doing your own setups.

But a comparison if I may.

I can cook barbeque ribs and chips for tea tonight, I know how, I can buy the ingredients, I have been cooking for 40 yrs, so why would I go out for tea and pay someone to make me barbeque ribs and chips.

Whilst I know my food is good, it still does not taste as good as the one I purchase at the local pub.

Reason

A person does not know what they do not know. You assume the neck is straight, you assume the tolerances you work to are good, you assume your hand skills are more than adequate, you assume frets are good, you assume neck joint is good, you assume lots. Now you may be correct you may not, but unless you have a reputable person set your guitar up for you, you do not know what you are missing.

Back to my comparison, I assume I know how to make barbeque ribs and chips, but man, those ribs and chips at the local pub taste so good, so I know by comparison, some of my assumptions when cooking are wrong.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE