View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Great work on an amazing redesign. Fiddly work to be sure on the bound sound ports. Amazing detail. I have only done one segmented sound port, but I am not sure if it is as effective as a single port. What are your thoughts on that?
Thanks! In regard to sound ports to a certain extent I think of a segmented sound port as the grille on a speaker. Given the compressibility of Air a sound wave will go around the segments without much loss. However, the overall shape of the sound port can make a difference. For instance: Sound waves travel through ovals better than circles so an oval that is 3” X 1” is more efficient than a circle that is 2” in diameter. Even though the circle has a larger area the oval with less area works better. A line of circles works better than one larger circle of equal area. It’s apparent that long is better and segments can be used for support.
A recent sound port I’ve done was shaped as an olive twig with little leaves and olives spread out on the upper bout. Each element was a separate port. Overall the cut out area was quite small but, the overall dimension of the sound port was pretty large. I’ll admit that I was doing this more as a decorative part of the guitar but, the first time I played it I was astonished on how well it worked. That’s when I started thinking of the grille comparison.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright