View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Re-fretting a vintage guitar, or not

I've approached this topic not too long ago but wanted to ask it in a slightly different way. I should also add it's equally relevant to vintage acoustic guitars. Here's the hypothetical situation; you're considering buying a fairly expensive ( whatever 'expensive' is to you) 1950's vintage archtop, make not important.

The guitar in question unfortunately can't be played prior to purchase, it being in another part of the country. The description and pictures and SELLER rep all lead you to believe the purchase is secure and the description accurate, that being EXC condition and 100% original.

The guitar arrives and sure enough it's in excellent conditon, plays great and appears to be 100% original. Except. The frets, rather than being 50's vintage skinny frets are clearly newish modern Gibson medium jumbo/ Les Paul-size. The re-fret job in this situation is excellent, in fact perfect. If one didn't know what vintage fret wire looked like one might never think twice about it in this example.

You call the SELLER to lightly inquire ( remember, you love the way the guitar feels/ plays) and he/ she confirms that 'yes' the guitar had a pro re-fret, this because the frets needed replacing.

Sorry for the long set-up, here's the central question; is the guitar still 100% original to you ? Would you want/ request/ expect a rebate or partial refund given replaced frets ?

Let me say catgorically that I'm not in the hypothetical situation I've laid out but rather am curious as to how important or not frets are to you as they relate to the condition of a vintage guitar. One way of looking at is the guitar has been restored, or even made better as the result of a pro refret- what do you think ?

Last edited by jonbutcheraxis; 08-22-2018 at 04:49 PM.