View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Thought I'd chime in here (though I know it's an old thread) might help someone out who has had the same issue and provide assurance to the problem...

I own three guitars with K&K trinitys installed within a week of purchasing them: Mcilroy (September 2016), beneteau (November 2016) and a larrivee (march 2017). I recently purchased a Solstice from a fine forum member (works wonderfully as it should)....but only with my McIlroy and Beneteau. I had used the regular Trinity Preamp that runs on 9v until the last week or so for all three of the guitars with no issues, just thought it could sound better. I was confused as to why my larrivee (my main gigging guitar) was producing a hiss on channel 2 (phantom power was on) and barely getting any signal but just last week had plenty of microphone signal with my trinity Preamp...

All I can say is: thank god for this forum.

I was pulling my hair trying to figure out why the mic worked fine through the trinity Preamp but then the solstice wasn't doing anything but ONLY on the newest installed Larrivee, "did I fry the mic because too much voltage?" Kept ringing through my head.

Thanks to John at Shorelines comment I'm pretty sure that I just got a newer-stock trinity in my Larrivee that has the mic protected against higher voltage preamps like the DTar and I'll just have to do what the original fella who posted this did and get a different internal mic....
My mcilroy and beneteau had trinitys installed last fall but apparently its recent stock like what I got for my larrivee that is the root of the issue. I'm rambling at this point but I figured it'd be more confirmation for potential buyers: if you want the k&k trinity, make sure you're okay with using either the stock Preamp, the quantum blender, or the really expensive Grace Felix / Pendulum which has lower voltage option for phantom unlike the Dtar or a Raven Labs.
I can agree with what most people have said that the Solstice is a cut above so I probably won't be buying anymore Trinity Solo's as the stock Preamp is decent sounding at best and no full-time performer likes buying/worrying about 9v replacements. Will definitely still be dual sourcing with pure mini's though.

Thanks again for this feed that helped me out immensely. Cheers!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com