View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 AM

pick me, I use and endorse John Pearse mandolin strings. Which set I use depends on which mandolin I'm putting them on: on a couple of them I use the JP phosphor bronze medium gauge set, on another I use a light gauge set in the same alloy, and on my oval hole "Sumi-era" Kentucky handbuilt I use the 80/20 medium set.

So it really just depends on what sounds good on any particular instrument, which is why it's a good idea to experiment with at least a couple of different alloys and brands until you determine what sounds best to your ears.

Moving on to your question about using deer antler as a material for the bridge saddle, over the years I've read a number of posts written by people who've tried that, and met and spoken with a few folks who've done it, and in every single instance they were disappointed with the tonal results they got, whether they tried it on a guitar or mandolin. Everything I've heard or read indicates that antler bridge saddles make the instruments they're installed on sound dull and somewhat muffled.

I mean, don't take my word for it, try it for yourself: maybe I got it wrong. But I've never heard or read any account that was encouraging about the idea.

Wade Hampton Miller