View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
That's great Dino. And, in a case of nice timing, there's a fingerstyle lesson post that's right now just below this thread, in which the poster/instructor has the thumb-inside technique. Not overly pronounced, but you can see his index if not middle finger as well interacting with the thumb. I know I'm obsessing but the combination of that post and your finding a way to keep your style while eliminating pain is a real encouragement for me...
I’m glad. I still find that the thumb-inside position, at least for the geometry of my hand, allows me to be faster, and lets me use my thumb nail when I want to, without having to grow it to the point where it’s interfering with stuff like typing. Using multiple positions is also really cool because each one is good for something else, and gives a different sound - realizing that, and starting to do that, was a breakthrough for me. Only happened a few months ago.

But, regardless of the position, I have NEVER had my thumb get tangled up with or interfere with my fingers. They all sort of know how to stay out of one another’s way...

As far as Dave Van Ronk’s right hand position giving bad sound and limiting what you can do is concerned, I’m still working on sounding as bad and being as limited as he was...