View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM

The pain would probably get me experimenting for a different placement of arm/hand/wrist that didn't aggravate it. I don't have any discomfort when I play. Nor do I anchor my picking hand in any manner.

I'm self-taught. By that I mean I bought book of chords, a guitar and complemented them with buckets of ambition and enthusiasm. I never consulted any printed tutorials or consulted with anyone. I held the guitar in a manner and with a posture that was comfortable for me and went about learning. Nothing has changed.

The guitar sits on the right (spelled w-r-o-n-g) thigh and both feet are flat on the ground. My picking hand is loosely held floating above the strings and at an angle to the strings rather than perpendicular. I always use a thumb pick and grow my nails just long enough to get dirty.

I like to think of my playing as successful, in the objective sense, rather than in some arbitrary or vague notion of subjective. It gets the music out and so far no one has excused himself to race a Lemming because of it.

One thing I will admit is that I agree I could benefit from better form. Old dogs take pride in their journeys and I'm no different. But, if pain was advising me to swallow my pride I'd give it a fair go.