Thread: MicQuest 2015
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Now that you mention it Doug, the only place I can remember seeing the vertical alignment used has been close mic'ing instruments. Thanks for the clarification.

Didn't expect to learn so much just by asking, "which mic should I use?".

So... at this point, I am resolved to stick with the mic I have until I develop a bit more technique for single mic recording. I will stick with recording dry and applying any effects in post. I will find as many folks locally as I can that have suitable mics for this endeavor and see if I can persuade them to cut a video. And finally, decide what the best mic for doing this might be long term.

Who knows... I may end up at the beginning and just proceed with what I have on hand. Spend coin on the adventure of acquisition rather than equipment.

Either way, here is a list of mics from this thread that I will be investigating for single mic recording (in no particular order);

Miktek CV4
AT5040
AT 4080
Mojave MA-200

Someone commented in PM on this approach not working too well in handling a wide range of genre's. I totally agree with that assessment and guess I hadn't specified that this is really focused on singer/songwriters. As has been mentioned a couple of times so far, this is really going to be a LOT more about the performance than the technology. That does make me wonder something... if (after a sufficient level of quality is met) mic choice for a project such as this would seem to make it's own esoteric contribution to the acquisition, which mic has the most renown?

I'm guessing that's probably going to be something like a Nueman U47?

Or to put it another way.... as an artist, if you had the opportunity to record one of your best songs through a single mic, what mic would that be? What mic would make you "up your game"?