Thread: Blackbird Savoy
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Blackbird Savoy

I’m not really ready to buy another guitar, but I’m seriously GASing over the Savoy, so I feel the need to vent. Please bear with and indulge me. If I’m correct, so far, AGFers Ted, Kramster, Tøf, Barb1, bry and kevdog now have experience with the Savoy (forgive me if I’m missing anyone else). Although I’m hoping especially for their feedback, anyone else feel free to jump in.

The only small/travel/short scale guitar I have ever owned or played is my ‘08 CA Cargo with Road Tough (RT) finish, which I love. Due to its comfort and ergonomics, as mainly a couch player/noodler, I probably play it the most. Imo, it has been the best looking travel size guitar among them all. I love the intimacy and playability of its size; the neck profile/shape; access to upper frets due to the no-heel design; the looser feel of the (light) strings because of the shorter scale; the bass...ooo, the bass for such a small guitar; the no-worry, durable, non-smudging RT finish. Just pick it up and go. The only negative, as accurately expressed by kevdog in his current NGD Savoy thread, is minor issues involving tone which I have always accepted because it has a bigger voice and very good tone for what it is, and although I really like Emeralds, neither the X7, nor Rainsong parlors, nor Blackbird CF smaller guitars have struck me as offering anything better to replace my Cargo.

So with all this love I have for the Cargo, why look for anything else? The Savoy comes along, that’s why. Beyond that it looks and *seems* to sound great based on the few videos I’ve seen; that it seems to be just a bit longer/wider overall than the Cargo; based on kevdog’s Cargo comparative review that it offers better, balanced tone than the Cargo; and hopefully it rivals any fine guitar...and better than any of the other composite small guitar offerings(?). However, at twice the price of a new Cargo (over 3.5 times what I paid for my ‘08 Cargo @ $750), is it worth it? This is what I’m struggling with. That said, there’s another factor that is making me lean to “yes”, which I’ll explain.

Although I have owned my Cargo for 9+ years, just lately, more and more I’m finding the intimacy of its size to be very appealing compared to my normal preference for GA/OMs. At almost 62 y/o with no health or physical playing issues, I can’t explain this change that’s coming over me. Therefore, if with the Savoy I can have a guitar that satisfies all that I love about the Cargo but with tone that is balanced and rivals the best of quality guitars, whether wood or other composites, I’m considering that it could become my overall favorite, even over my Taylor 814c. Any thoughts about this?

I have said in other recent threads that I’ve also been interested in the Emerald X20, but it would have to be a short scale 12 fret...but even with its ergonomics, can it deliver on the smaller guitar intimacy I’m looking for? Somehow, I’m doubting it is small enough. I’ve also expressed interest in the Rainsong CH-OM, but again, it’s likely too big to meet my want for intimacy in a guitar, moving forward.

Fwiw, I’m a barefinger fingerpicker/strummer playing mainly classic folk/rock, a bit of blues, and originals in that vein.

Beyond my foregoing ramblings, I have some questions about the Savoy...

1. How loud is the Savoy compared to say, a Taylor GA? How much louder than the Cargo?

2. My favorite neck profile is CA as I experience with the Cargo and formerly the GXi. I also very much like the Taylor and Emerald shape and profiles. Where does the Savoy neck fit within my preferences?

3. With its hollow neck, does the Savoy have a truss rod?

4. Ted, you’re the only one who has experienced both the burst and standard Savoy. Does the burst add any noticeable weight? And what about affect on tone? Can the standard non-burst version be ordered in gloss or satin/matte? If so, is there a cost difference?

Thanks for reading folks, and your thoughts.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.