View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Finally, given that the buyer of the "boutique" guitar in the OP did not commission the guitar, but bought one that already existed, he failed to fully evaluate the guitar prior to purchasing it, discovering later that it had a "bum" note that did not meet his subjective criteria for what the instrument should be like. It might well be that another buyer, who has a different subjective criteria for acceptance, might not be bothered by that deficiency: one person's deficiency might be another's perfection.
Charles, I agree with your whole post but for the sake of screen space have quoted only one part. Seems to me this is indeed a subjective defect rather than a material defect, and is such that it took the buyer a month to figure it out. Had I been the manufacturer, replacement would have never entered the discussion. I'm sure they regret that it did.

I'd also like to know if this "defect" shows up in normal play or only when playing each note with a stopwatch in hand. Given that is was not discovered for a month I suspect it is the later, furthering the notion that it would be inconsequential in actual use.