View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Ha, in fact, I had just read the FBJ article and scoured every shop I could think of to find a used non-cutaway Jumbo. I’ve always wanted one as I learned blues guitar through Stefan Grossman’s CDs and DVDs. I think I own maybe 60! I bought a Martin HJ-38 SG but the dreadnaught depth was too muddy for me. I think Nick’s Jumbo would be perfect, although I remembered iim7V7IM7 has a 16” OM which made me re-read this thread.

Jeanne tells me Nick is still working on relocating and fixing up his shop a bit, but he's getting my D-28 next month for its 44-year-old tuneup. My 1989 OM-5 and my 1980 OM-28 remain forever guitars...and I'm a mahogany guy (though I'm forever set with my vintage Martins) but I think a Mahogany, Koa, Maple, or some sort of more fundamental Jumbo may be in my future. But, dang, I love what he does with Brazilian. We'll have to see. I'm glad you're enjoying your Jumbo.
My years of Stefan Grossman books, tapes, cds and DVD lessons were also behind my wish for a Franklin Jumbo. While you are looking for a Jumbo, I am playing catch up with you: I am on Nick's build list for an OM (Brazilian/German Spruce) which was supposed to get started last fall/winter but the unexpected move of his shop put a kink in his schedule. So now he'll get started on my build once he's all set up in his new location. (Build thread to come!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thanks for both the update on your guitar and for the link to the FJ article on Nick. My Franklin OMC gets better and better (it is 3-1/2 years old now) . I owe him a call but with the nocturnal hours that he keeps, it is hard to stay in touch?
It is a funny experience arranging a call with Nick. Between his nocturnal schedule and the time difference, he's either about to go to sleep when I am just getting up, or he's starting work as I am winding down for the day.
His guitars do just seem to get better and better as they age!

Last edited by mhw48; 01-22-2023 at 02:15 PM.