View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 05:03 AM

Moving right along, I've begun working on the neck again. I'd made a template of the headstock when I made my first and cut this second neck to a rough shape which I've been trying to refine with my long lost Blue Marples 3/4 chisel which seems to have returned from a vacation somewhere; I was unable to locate it for the longest time but lo and behold it reappeared just when I need it. Soon it will be time to chisel the braces. Granted, it could stand to be sharpened a bit so I'm not being too adventuresome with it, opting to use the card scraper and sandpaper on a cylindrical caul.

In the meantime, I also was able to locate the bookmatched ziricote peghead veneer that went similarly missing until I located it buried in my cluttered basement workshop. Please forgive me; I've been distracted. I am just a hobbyist after all!

Using my jack plane and an impromptu shooting board I joined the pieces using Jonathan Kinkade's technique of using nails at the edges to wedge the two halves together and a central clamping force over the joint. It wasn't pretty so I didn't take a picture but it was effective. After scraping the gluing surfaces smooth and wiping them with naphtha I did a couple of dry fits before forcing on ahead with the glue up:

I should add that I'd also begun to carve out the neck profile at the first fret, using the neck on my Larrivee OM-03R as a template:

I took the clamps off last night and intend to saw off the excess later today. I can't wait to see how the veneer looks once it's trimmed to the final shape. The figuring of the ziricote is beautiful.