View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That looks awesome. I've never played a Brondel. What is his "signature sound?"
I've played at least 7 or so and they are really great guitars IMHO. I played an A2 essential at TAMCO last week that was superb.

They look like Sobells (in profile you can appreciate the marked arching to the top and back) but I don't really think they sound like them and they seem to be lighter built. They have the separation and clarity that Sobells have but - to my ears at least - most Brondel's I've played have had a looser, earthier, woodier tone to them, that's very appealing. Most have been very resonant. Some have actually reminded me of old, smaller Martins. I hear quite a bit more "wood" (vs "string") in the Brondels than I do in most modern USA guitars I seem to be playing these days. I don't strum but I think they'd be difficult to overdrive. All that is probably sweeping generalisation, but this is the internet so I'm allowed to!

I like them a lot and they're one of the guitars I'd like to have at home for an extended period to get to know; it's always difficult when you play one for a few minutes, and then immediately play a different guitar (or several).

Just my 2p (or 2c...).

cheers,
Steve