View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1folksinger View Post
I have had the joy of receiving 5 different instruments via UPS, or the U.S.Mail. In each instance, I opened the box and checked out the guitars within the first five minutes. (Except for that one time my 1939 00028 Martin was "dropped" over my locked gate onto my patio in the drizzling rain.) That turned out okay, because it was in a large brown shipping box and case, which protected everything just fine. The last guitar I bought from a fella in Ohio, where he told me it was hovering in the "10's" and I'm here in California, where it hovers in the high 70's! I had it shipped overnight by the U.S.Mail...and when I opened it, it was slightly on the cold side, but otherwise it was perfect. In each case, all the guitars were just fine (and still are.)
In my experience, the whole "waiting thing" is just a bit overly cautious. When makers build an instrument, hopefully they are using aged wood and fine craftsmanship that will last for years and years to come. If a little change in temp. throws the thing out of tune, tune it. If there's a bit of a difference in humidity, so what? Let common sense dictate. If you're comfortable, your guitar is comfortable.... should you need to add moisture or create an environment that's a little dryer.... go ahead. To me it's more important to check out a shipped instrument right away, just in case there's a real shipping problem or damage. I suppose I've been very lucky to never have any damage done to any of the five I've gotten over the years. I will add that they have all been either Martins or Collings, and all survived the changes without incident. 1 folksinger.
Waiting isn't about the wood, it's about the finish. Sudden temperature changes will cause some finishes( expecially Nitrocellouse Lacquer) to check, or crack. Sudden changes , cold to warm are what causes the most damage. Since you're in a fairly warm climate you'll likely never have a problem.

Added/ I doubt I'd ever have a problem here in NC except on the coldest days. Most problems caused by opening the case too soon happen up North where it's really cold.