View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 06:27 PM

I just wanted to give a brief update here. I am narrowing down my amplification.

I am having good luck with my solidstate pedalboard setup running into a bass amp (Ashdown OriginAL C112) or an acoustic amp (Traynor AM Standard and Roland AC-33). The keyboard also sounds great running through those amps! (though that doesn't surprise me). No current access to a PA system to test the pedalboard that way.

I am pretty sure I will be selling my Vox AV30 + FS8, and my 1958 Gibson Skylark GA-5 with custom 1x8 extension cab. It's a one trick pony that does one or two really nice tricks and I like the idea of it more than the actual sound, although everyone else raves about it when they hear it...it's nothing that I don't feel like I can get out of my Rivera Ch2 (the "american" channel).

I am not sure I will be selling my Rivera Chubster, though. Every time I plug into it it just sounds so right. So it will come down to whether or not I could consider my pedalboard preamp (Brimstone XD-2 > RevivalDrive Compact > EQ2 (Tech21 Q/Strip) > CabDryVR) my primary sound. I haven't had a chance to play it in context of a band mix. The Rivera does such a good job of keeping the guitar present without it being overbearing or muddy, my goal is to be able to get that across multiple gain stages with the pedalboard.

But life keeps getting in the way! I'd like to say that pandemics gave me time to sort through all this but I've just gotten busier in a lot of ways...