View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM

My favorite microphone set up for recording acoustic guitar is M/S (mid-side). For M/S recoding you use a figure 8 microphone pointing left and right, and one cardoid

(sometimes you can get away with an omnidirectional) microphone pointing right at the source. The capsules of the microphones are lined up right on top of each

other and equidistant to the source. For a starting point I generally point them at the neck joint of the guitar. Then I close my eyes and move my guitar around while

playing until I hear what I want to hear in my headphones. Then I hit record. After recording the two tracks, you clone the one figure 8 microphone track, and flip the phase

of the new cloned track. You now have 3 tracks (fig 8 track, cloned fig 8 track, mid track). You then then pan the original fig 8 track hard left, and the cloned track hard right.

The mid track in panned directly center. In the mix you bring up the sides till they balance with the center track. The soundstage of M/S recording sounds very natural to

me and very open. The Rode Classic II was the mid mic set to one-click away from cardoid (towards omni), and the Neumann u89 as the side mic set to Fig 8.

I used my stereo Drawmer 1960 pre/comp for both microphones, and each channel was set to 4:1 compression with a fast attack, and med release.

For the slide track I just used the the Rode Classic II, and cloned that track. I panned each one of those about 50% left and right. I also used a Waves R-Comp compressor and

a PuigTech EQ plug-in on these two channels. Over the whole mix I used a Slate Digital VCC plug-in (set to Trident) and a Waves Reverb.

This is what it sounds like... (better listen on headphones or monitors to hear the lowend and spread of the channels).

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/g-string

here's the Nowland SJ guitar I used...

here's the mics and preamps...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-12-2014 at 03:18 PM.