View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
None of my guitars have electronics and occasionally I get the opportunity to play out with others. So, I've got the itch to get a guitar with on-board electronics. I want something that I won't be sobbing if it gets a scratch. For my planned use, unplugged sound quality is secondary; mostly matters how it sounds plugged in. What are some good "plugged in" choices in the $1k - $2k range?
You have guitars you like, "occasionally" you play with others, why spend $1-2K on a once in a while guitar?

Add removable electronics to one of your guitars, seriously. I've gigged with very expensive instruments for decades, they show no more wear than the guitars I leave home. Outside of weather (temperature/rain) and truly rowdy bars, play your best to sound your best.

Do you leave you car home because it might get parking lot dings?

When I was a heavy gigging musician I had dedicated acoustic electrics, but they were still $4K instruments, not to save my other guitars, they were tools for a purpose.

To answer the question I prefer Martin Auras and Taks both over Taylor acoustic electrics, but I would try some of the great removable electronics on one of your existing guitars first, my .02..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)