View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Anders,

Thanks for your response.

IS the "superior" oil you'll use on Masur fretboards called Duraseal Neutral Sealer/Oil?

A blend of natural & synthetic oils, Duraseal is made to be enough for flooring, achieving that glass fiber penetrating strength you mentioned. I like it because it doesn't darken lighter woods like Koa or Maple with successive coats. I use it on pic guards sometimes but not specifically for lutherie.

However, I have hundreds of Koa gift items & picture frames all over the Islands that look like they were lacquered yesterday, though some are over 40 years old. Three coats of Duraseal & a coat of carnauba wax power buffed gives me that result & durability.

It sounds like the oil you use on the Masur fretboard is similar. What brand is it?

Man, you're guitar looks good enough to eat. Can't wait to see the finished result. You have a very tasteful eye for combining exotic woods esthetically, my friend. That's not always the case in luthierie, IMO. BTW, that's also a gorgeous, unique rosette on your classical.

Thanks Anders!

alohachris

Thanks buddy!
Really appreciate your nice comments.

My oil is not Duraseal, it is siloxan based oil, i can look it up for you if you give your email?
That sounds like a great solution you got with Duraseal and wax!

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk