View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
You guys know that Apple purposely slows down your phones as the battery ages right? Check your settings. It will tell you what your battery capacity is. If you phone is slowing down, it's time to replace the battery.

I've recently seen batteries for sale that include the kits you need to open up the phone yourself. One of the tools looks conspicuously like a nylon guitar pick. That's something that's new to me; I'd thought that you had to have Apple or a certified tech with a static mat and special tools to do it. If it's 2 years old though and the battery is not holding a charge as long and on the charger every day then what's the harm to go the DIY route? Just make sure that you've backed your phone settings and files to the cloud.

My previous comments about planned obsolescence aside though, if your phone is 5-6 years old it's just not going to run well at all. The way I see it, you should get a maximum of about 3-4 years out of a phone. If you can't buy a case for it without going online that should be a sign.
On DIY repairs: Newer phones have water resistance that is lost with some DIY and third party battery and screen replacement. Also, some discount batteries are not comparable. From iPhone 7s on I've stopped doing my own repairs. I don't view this as don't do DIY as much as know it.

On the SE rumors..... In the meanwhile carriers and retailers have promomotions on iPhone 8 that are attractive. Our kids who does little but phone calls, text messages and camera got a great deal on an 8.

It would be super if they had a bargain model with smaller size and all-screen design. An economy and non-premium materials X.

I've posted about eating my words when I first got a Plus and the XS Max. You pay for it but I've loved the all screen design and large screen more than expected. You don't need a fat carry case. I've hardly touched my Kindle since the XS Max, and I do Office 365 and other work things on phone that used to be go to the laptop or desktop.

How much the new Pixel 4 looks like an iPhone further settles how much this is a mature product market now. Microsoft is probably onto something making a hinged Android dual screen vs flexible plastic big screen. The other sign of market maturity is I noticed the person I report to has kept his Apple Watch 5 and makes calls on it.