View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi pz

I have a friend who builds world class instruments, and he ALWAYS tries to discourage buyers from choosing French Polish. He jokingly claims that you have to work on it while wearing dark goggles, and without breathing on it because you may dent or scratch it.

Clients are usually convinced that french polish creates a noticeable difference in the projection of the instrument, and he feels it's just a pain to maintain. And then the artists who own them usually don't take them outside the home. They are often sold within a couple years.

I'm not sure about refinishing, perhaps a visit to the Custom Shop section of the forum (where builders often post) would answer your question.

Turns out I might have some luck with Randy Wood guitars. Apparently he knows how to do FP but chooses not to because of how labor intensive it is. He said to bring it in and if doesn't require redoing the whole top, he would do it.

One question: It might not cost me much more do redo the whole top in a more traditional surface. Some people say that will ruin the responsiveness but is that really true? Is there that much of an improvement in tone? On the other hand, I have read that the thickness counts more than the type of finish used.