View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Change of direction

Last night my wife and I were having a conversation about my upcoming guitar build, and I finally expressed some concerns I've had in the back of my mind for a couple weeks now. It comes to this. As dramatic as that highly figured back is, my fear is that it'll be darker than desired once finished. And trying to find a set of side boards that would really complement it wasn't going well.

So imagine my surprise when Steve emailed me this morning with the exact same concerns. Seems he'd wiped the back pieces and potential side board with some mineral spirits, and it was as I'd feared. Not good, but.... Fortunately, he still had a set of quilted Maple back and side boards that are nicely matched for figure and color and just as stunning. So this is the new set we be working with;

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty nice, yes? I think so. We've also settled on Ziricote for bindings, bridge, and fret board. The neck configuration is still coming together, but it'll be a couple weeks before the saw dusk begins to fly in earnest, so we've got time to sort that out. Given the similarity of our tastes, I don't foresee any difficulties.

Stay Tuned...