View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
That was without a capo, and it's a D-18? Something doesn't sound right, to me.

Have you sent the audio file to James May (inventor of the Ultratonic pickup) and asked for his opinion?

I'm wondering if the dip switches got set correctly. There should only be ONE dip switch that's in the "different" position from all the others. I've seen a case where an installer didn't read the instructions correctly, and ended up with quite a few dip switches in the "different" position, instead of just one.

I would definitely talk to James May about it . . . he's going to be a lot more useful than people like me.
Second on that! I have 2 UT guitars, one set-up by James, and one by me, and they sound very different in general from what I hear recorded. I was wondering if it has to do with the other equipment you have in the chain, and how you have it adjusted?

My set-ups were done primarily to eliminate boominess and feedback - if two switch settings gave me essentially the same feedback resistance, then I would take the one that had the best (IMO) tone. With a clean signal, it’s basically done - I’ll probably never even think about those switches again. Taking that straight thru to a clean amp, I get a really good sound that can be run up to high volume without any feedback - although I have found that vocal mic placement and monitors can still cause some issues. Any modification in EQ isn’t a desired function of the pickup - I like what my guitar sounds like, and knowing what it sounds like in an amp, before I plug it into anything else. Depending whether I plug into an acoustic amp, or an “electric” amp, or straight into the PA, then I can make whatever EQ adjustments I think might be needed.

I don’t think any pickup will give you the kind of tone a good mic would give you. But they can eliminate the many issues trying to play live in a band with just a mic can have - especially if you don’t have someone really good running your sound. If you want all the advantages of simple plug-and-play, and still get amazingly close to a great mic’d sound, then you need to add the Tonedexter - to me, its really just that simple.