View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Not quite, tho I could be missing something, Logic has lots of features. Logic has an IO plugin that lets you route out to a hardware output, and bring back the input. I could put the IO plugin on a channel as an effect, but that would basically insert the external device on that track,

Logic has effects (for plugins) and busses. The way I do it is to send a signal to a bus, and then put the IO plugin on that bus.

Looks like this, (track+bus+IO plugin)

Attachment 33706
Humm sometimes communication is a bit tricky on the internets

But this is informative as to how specific DAWs work. So if I understand correctly ?

So it looks like in Logic (like Studio One) you have to use a plugin to route to external hardware FX , to be able to use it as an insert. The bold sentence is the same, you can either insert the hardware fx directly on a track/channel , or create a parallel FX (Aux) in PT or (Bus) in Logic I am assuming and send to that, from multiple other tracks .

The difference appears to be that in PT it is handled automatically in the I/O matrix, (no need of a plug in) and automatically shows in the inserts drop down window, when you physically connect the external hardware to the interface's physical I/O connections. All I do is label respective tracks, busses, and sends, for clarity.

Overall the method we use for a "parallel FX" is basically the same. In PT, I choose/create an "Aux Input" (I assume basically what you are calling a BUS track) in the track selection, and then assign an internal bus to send from the individual audio tracks, to that Aux Input track.

So again referring to my snap shot . In this case the dark purple track is my Aux Input track (parallel FX track named M7) with the Bricasti (also labeled as the M7 in I/O selection) being selected as the insert.

Then I select a pair of Bus numbers, which I have also renamed (M7) to be the same as the Aux Track name (for easy organization and recognition), Then select the M7 Bus as the input for that Aux track and then choose (Bus M7) from the sends sections on any individual tracks I want reverb FX on,,, make sense ?

For example (in my snapshot) , on the magenta colored vocal tracks , I select the M7 Bus in the sends section and set the individual sends level, for the amount of reverb FX I want for those specific tracks .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-24-2020 at 01:43 PM.