View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've owned two Cargos. They were both good guitars, but I would recommend the Peavey version. Peavey put a lot of effort into improving the fit and finish of the guitar and it paid off in a great instrument.
Agreed. I had a pre-Peavey model and my current Peavey model, both at the same time, and the Peavey one is still with me (for now). The pre-Peavey did have both a tone and volume knob in the sound hole, whereas the Peavey has a single volume in the hole. But honestly I prefer just having a volume... since the pickup tone is great as-is. The tone control would just be something to fiddle with.

I prefer the raw carbon finish of the Peavey to the painted pre-Peavey that I had. I also prefer the Peavey open-gear tuners to the pre-Peavey Schallers (or whatever they were).

I've been toying with selling or trading the Peavey Cargo. I bought it as a travel/camp/whatever guitar that I could just not care about regarding temp/humidity changes. It's perfect for that. It plays flawlessly and sounds great. But I usually play my full-size guitars most of the time, or my mandolins. When I do feel the need to play on a small/parlor size instrument, I have a Yamaha CSF1M that also sounds great. Though it doesn't have a cutaway and active electronics like the Cargo does. I've got a room that's overflowing with acoustic instruments... and I'm TRYING to thin the herd a little as I prepare for semi-retirement. But I'll-be-darned if they don't just keep multiplying in there! I think I have at least 20 acoustic instruments to feed (water) and care for right now... in that respect the Cargo has them all beat. I should just sell EVERYTHING and keep the Cargo! Would make my life very easy.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-08-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity