View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsis View Post
Guys, I don't think, you get me right. Now I do all my records with 2 matcher pair mics, but I also have the L.R. Baggs Anthem pick-up system on my guitar, which contains internal mic+piezo.

For example, look at (or hear) these two videos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2DghZESxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNPCI8y9avc

maybe I am wrong, but I clearly hear more than one source of signal. I belive, their whole track contains signals from microphone, piezo and magnetic pick up. And I am just curious, how they worked with it in mix, how they pan it etc.
There's no set way to do this. You have multiple sounds for one instrument, so you mix according to what sounds good to you. What I'd probably try to start with is:

1) pan the mics hard left and right, stereo
2) cut the highs from the pickup, maybe add some bass
3) center the pickup in the middle
4) adjust levels to taste

But there are all kinds of options. I recall reading Tommy Emmanual saying that on one of his CDs, they recorded mics+pickup and used the pickup to send to the reverb, keeping the mics dry and the pickup itself out of the mix. Why? No idea, but apparently they liked the sound.

Michael Hedges apparently liked (this is live) to use a magnetic pickup with the highs rolled off and a stereo chorus on it.

I don't recommend this, but one mic and the pickup, each panned hard to each side sounds huge (tho not natural).

Antoine Dufour, whose video you posted, has a set of 3 videos on how he records, tho they are light on the specifics of what you are asking. You do get a glimpse of the many plugins he uses, including a "MaxBass" plugin, if I recall, which I'd guess is applied to his pickup to get that big bottom end.

I rarely use a pickup, but I do almost always record with more than one pair of mics, and again, the its the same story - blend to taste. I can pick one or the other pairs to see which sounds best, I can use them both, I can adjust the relative levels of each, I can add reverb to one and not the other, I can pan them differently, I can adjust the relative levels - more of one vs the other, and so on. While trying any of this, I just listen and try to figure out if it sounds good.