View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 05:13 PM

Default playing position question

Hey all, I've been taking lessons for about 2 years now, focusing mostly on acoustic, but I have an electric (Epi Sheraton II, 335ish type) that I also practice with, but I always take my acoustic to lessons.

Now that I am progressing a bit further, my teaches has me playing more songs with more barre chords and also starting on power chords.

Over the past month or two, I've noticed that I seemed to have a lot more difficulty playing barre and power chords on my acoustic than on my electric, and today it finally hit me why.

Note: I have a bad rotator cuff on me left shoulder, this might be important, or maybe not...

I play my acoustic running across my body. Lower bout on the right, neck to the left, pretty much in the plane of my chest.

When I play my electric, the body is more to my right side with the neck further away from me.

This allows my upper arm and elbow to remain closer to my chest, while when I play my acoustic, my arm and elbow are angled out at about a 30 degree angle (30 deg away from the chest) and my arm is also angled about 15-25 degrees back from the stright down position.

I think the size of the bout prevents me from moving the guitar more to my side (bigger belly), but maybe someone has some advice on how to adjust my playing position to put be at a more advantageous angle? I am going to approach my teacher this weekend on this subject, but wanted to get some opinions here as well, possibly even before I go.

Oh, and for those wondering, I practice at home on an office chair that I have removed the arms from, and at lessons on a folding metal chair you might see at a school function (or, at least one back in the 80s)

Thanks for your time and advice in advance
2022 Guild F512E - Maple