View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Not really.

The shorter the IR, the less definition in the low end.

The shorter the IR the closest to the pickup tone.

The shorter the IR the more "direct" the tone. the longer the IR, the more "wet" and "reverby" the IR feels.

On my website, almost every IRs are 2048pts (42ms), adding them in 200ms in your CABm+ makes no difference with 42ms. Most acoustic guitar IRs have about no content after 42ms.

If you want to try to improve your tone with IR:
1) Make a 2-track recording with a 2-channel audio interface. On the first track, record an external mic in front of the 12th frets about 10" from the fingerboard. On the second track, record the guitar pickup DIRECT (no pedal).
2) Export the 2 tracks either as 2 separate files (with proper naming) or as a stereo file (track 1, hard pan left, track2 hard pan right).
3) put them on a google /dropbox drive and send me a private message with the link.

I'll make you some IR files for the CAB M+

If you prefer to do it yourself, and are comfortable with computer you can use my free open source agorithm (or Jon Field's):
http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique15

Note that those don't correspond to my latest IR experiments.

Ask yourself the question:
1) Do I want a very mic-like tone (my guitar only louder)? The IR made with that in mind will sound good on headphones but you might struggle through a PA speaker/ amp as soon as you want to raise the volume. (Like a mic)

2) Do I just want to get rid of the quack and have a more natural attack with a piezo tone? The IR made with that in minde will provide a "forward", "aggressive", "larger than life" tone but just without the weird piezo attack.

3) Do I want something in between?

My last experiments are focused on points 2 & 3 without using the "blending" solution, that might not be satisfactory for eveyone.

Thank you for detailed explanations and instructions! I appreciate it!

1. I want to try your opensource algo. I dont have a mic yet so i have to buy one first in order for me to amplify the tone of my guitar and do a combo.
2. I can record direct as I have an interface and all. Although I just use Garageband as it’s the easiest.

I’m using an affordable J-45 copy. A Sigma JM-SG45 (Laminate B&S) which sounded the closest to the Gibson J45 i tried in the store and compared it against. Unfortunately the pickup is crap. So I used your Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner, J-45 Standard and 1943 J-45 IR’s and made a few presets out of those. I did have to enable the EQ, Enhancer and Reverb in the CabM+ as I dont have any acoustic preamps to shape the tone a bit.

All three sounded very good through the PA and through my Audio Technica M50x headphone monitors. However, theres still a hint of quack that i couldnt dial out. I did try scooping the mids a little however I lost some presence as I’m not cutting through the mix enough so i ended raising it again. Do you mind sharing your EQ settings on the CabM? I saw you using one in a video. Since acoustic amplification is all new to me, I dont know which frequencies are more desirable to boost/cut.

I like a fairly big low end. I like the thump of the bass strings similar to what you’ll hear in this strum test video i did. Strung with 13’s.

I’ll record some samples of my acoustic presets using your IR’s but I’ll just private message you so as not to ruin this thread more. But let me know what I’m doing wrong.

I think with what i want at the end of the day is to get rid of the quack tone, and get a nkcer tone with whatever pickup I use. Be it an Anthem, or K&K. Then have a preset wherein I have a blend of a “mic’ed” capture/tone of my guitar.

So your experiment appeals to me at least with what you are trying to do. But given I have no idea of the ins and outs of acoustic amplification, I guess what I’m waiting on are the final IR files Id need to load in my CabM+ And see how I like it for myself. Am i making any sense?

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"

Last edited by dreamingOM; 01-17-2022 at 04:59 AM.