View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's a solo guitar example that I posted here quite a while back as a blind test. I know that take B is the Zoom H6 with the internal XY mics (obvious because the mic placement is different). The other 2 (a or c) are 1) the Zoom with external mics, and 2) the same mics thru a Great River preamp/Cranesong HEDD A/D, and RME AES-32 interface, .
Listening to your examples got me thinking. None of my recordings ever sound anything close to what you posted above. Regardless of the guitar (Larrivee, Martin or Bourgeois) I record, which room I setup in my house or what equipment I use the results are always the same. The recording sounds like a guitar played through a cheap pickup and amp. I don't know how many videos I watched on the proper way to setup and record an acoustic guitar and while I can get quite a variety in the quality of sound that acoustic sound is mostly lost. Some of the equipment I have used is:

Rode Nt1a connected to m-Audio Duo Pre-amp (at least 10 years old)
Apogee Mic connected to iPad
Edirol by Roland.

I can setup all 3 to record at the same time and you'd be hard pressed to tell which was record using what equipment. Not that there isn't a difference but none stand out as a good acoustic recording.