View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
Excellent recording, Whitney! Great job on all levels...guitar, vocal, and recording clarity. Where did you have the DR-05 placed?

You're right. This is a great little recorder.

DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Beautiful... No words.
Thank you both! I felt my playing was a tiny bit sloppier than I'd hoped as the song is capoed at 8 and I was playing my GS Mini. It gets tight up there. I recorded this on my living room couch. It was done in one take with no edits or effects applied to the track. The only thing I did do was trim the beginning and the end for a clean start/finish.

I wanted to be sure I had some flexibility with placement, so I bought one of these:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very clearly an $11 tripod; not the best quality but it was here in 2 days via Prime and it gets the job done. If you go this route, you'll notice that there's a spring triggered "button" on the top of the base next to the screw. I wasn't sure of it's purpose and after further investigation it didn't seem to really have one, but when I screwed the DR-05 on the tripod for the first time this button scuffed up the back of it in a perfect circle. I was annoyed by this, so I got a pair of pliers and snipped it off.

All that said, I had the tripod raised to about 34". It was between 1-1.5 feet away from me. I was sitting, so I had it almost directly at the height between my soundhole and my mouth. With the monitoring feature, I was able to play around with the angle at which the recorder was pointing. I can post a pic next time I sit down to record...which will likely be soon because this thing is FUN.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok