View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

There are no rules - use what you like. I never liked Fender picks, but played Dunlop nylon .88 mm picks from the time I was a kid. When I got back into playing again about 2 1/2 years ago, I tried a few different picks and then in the past 6-8 months I went down the rabbit hole, trying various Vespel (the Blue Chip material that Scott offers at Charmed Life too) picks and casein picks from Charmed Life, Red Bear, and a couple others. At first I really liked the Vespel picks and didn’t like casein at all. Then casein started growing on me and now that’s all I use. The skinniest Charmed Life (about .9 to 1.0 mm) on my electrics, and either a Charmed Life 1.15 or a Red Bear 1.25 (which is also larger and had holes for grip) on my acoustic. For a lot of strumming, I like the thinner picks on my acoustic, but for more percussive strumming and for picking, I love the larger heavier pick.

It was sort of expensive there for a couple months as I tried stuff, but now that I know what I like, if I don’t lose picks (which I don’t seem to anymore - a $30 pick will focus the mind not to!) these should last nearly forever. And they feel and sound phenomenal (to me). When I play other picks now, I don't like them - I've become a pick snob. And I'm not a particularly good player, but I guess I'm good enough to appreciate a nice guitar and so why should picks be different? One of these days, I should get around to selling my Blue Chip and Charmed Life Vespel picks, but i keep thinking they may grow on me again someday and I’d probably sell the lot of them for $100 or something, so it’s not like a major problem to keep them just in case. I kind of like them on my electrics, but I like those skinny casein picks more...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-09-2019 at 04:36 AM.