View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
The size of the body was the main reason. Not sure if the dimensions have changed, but I just found it too big to be comfortable so I didn't play it all that much. It was surprisingly light for a big guitar though, probably lighter than the MGC. It was sitka and EIR.

Back then, it was just the Mission Grand Concert and then the Cathedral. I think it does have more bass than the Nightingale.

I also dealt primarily with his manager (a different person back then) for both the Mission Grand Concert and Cathedral. I think back then it was only Kevin and his wife, don't think the manager was even on site. I called his shop on a whim in late 2001 and asked if they had any spec guitars. He said that he had an almost finished MGC in Adirondack and Brazilian that was sitting under a workbench. In the final stages, they discovered a crack in the back. Asked the customer if he wanted it at a discount and he said no. The manager (forget his name) took over then and I bought it for a price that was only a little more than the cost of the Brazilian upgrade. I think Kevin added extra bracing to preclude more cracking (although it did crack again maybe 10 years ago) which may account for the weight.

A year or two later, I called back and asked the same question and the manager said that they had the Cathedral for sale.

At that time, I was totally ignorant of the letting it rest in the carton and case for 24 hours and opened them both right away in the dead of Minneapolis winters. no ill effect thankfully.
Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply. Yup, the Cathedral looks a little big but I'm sure it sounds bassier.

Those are great stories and yes, have heard Brazilian needs extra care, just like zircote. It's wonderful that you got the piece at a discount, I'm sure its a real keeper!

So guess what, I called Kevin early this morning and it was such a joy chatting with him. We spoke at length about his process and eventually concluded that Amilcar (his current GM) is very well versed with the type of woods and their combinations, as well as what they have in stock at the moment.
Feel like I'm in great hands (=

Thanks all for the inputs guys! Looking forward to a Ryan (eventually)! (=