View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinguitar View Post
What are your thoughts on the following.

Other than gigging where extra loudness might be required, is there any need for electronics in medium to higher end acoustic guitars? After all, the sound should be produced by the guitar and not the electronics which can be set to requirements to a large extent.

If electronics are to be added, do you go for higher specification to reflect the specification of the guitar.

I am thinking of treating myself to a more upmarket guitar and can’t decide on any electronics. Because it would be played at home, I think the answer is a straightforward no. However the above questions still intrigue me.

Thanks for any suggestions, ideas and thoughts.
Evaluate how you might use your new instrument in the future, as well as how you normally use it at present.

A built in transducer or pickup can be used obviously as a live performance tool or for it's ability to be used as an easy method of recording, but there are other uses.

I've posted details in previous topics, but I routinely use my guitar with a looper and small amp for developing songs and just pure fun, as I can use the looper and a small bass guitar rig to almost instantly make "backing tracks" when practicing new material.

The main takeaway from this is to carefully consider your need for a built in pickup and how your needs might change in the future.

As to selecting a higher level system based on selecting a higher level instrument I'd offer that the K&K Pure Mini has consistently provided me with what I need and it's the only pickup that I would personally use. You can spend a lot more and end up with a lot less IMHO.

The good news about the K&K Pure Mini is it can be added to most guitars easily at a later date if your needs change, so if you don't think you will need a pickup any time soon there's no need to have it installed at the time you purchase your new guitar.

Other than the end pin jack a K&K Pure Mini installation will have no visible signs of your instrument having a pickup, does not effect it's natural acoustic tone, has no parts to wear out or batteries to be changed or worry about changing, and is always ready should you decide to plug in at any time in the future.

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-17-2021 at 06:30 AM.