View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
For me, the only reason for electronics in a guitar is either for playing through a PA / amplifier, or for recording. If you aren't planning to do either of those then you can save your cash and leave the guitar unmodified.

As for 'high spec pickup in a high spec guitar', it depends on the purpose of the pickup. For me, there's no value in installing a super-expensive pickup over a K&K (which is what I went for). When I've plugged in to a PA I have also been singing, and there are usually some others in the band as well. As far as the audience are concerned, the guitar is just part of the package of sound and if I had spent 5x as much on my pickup and preamp they would not notice.

If, however, I was making a living from this and performing instrumentals to guitar-minded audiences then there's an argument for putting the time and money into getting a really authentic tone from your pickup.

Bear in mind, of course, that my K&K + preamp combo would already be seen as a bit high-spec compared to what many guitars have when they leave the factory. My car is cheap compared to a BMW 7 series, but is expensive to someone who drives a ten year old hatchback. It's all a matter of perspective.
Cmac, thank you for those thoughts.