View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Letting the build show the way...

Before Kent left for his break, we discussed some interesting ideas for the rosette, end graft and back strip of KC#99 to complement the "Craftsman" aesthetic that we have shared with the design of the headstock (truss rod cover, "Chasson" logo typography) and flamed catalpa fingerboard inlays. Those of you familiar with the wood inlay designs of Harvey Ellis that reflect nature in Stickley furniture pieces won't be disappointed.

Staying simple in the ornamentation, and emphasizing the beauty of quarter-sawn Wenge, and mitered edge details. This even follows through to the finish not being glossy and emphasizing the natural texture of the materials of construction. I will see if I can capture these finish samples with my home photography setup.

What has been interesting about this build is how the process of building itself has revealed many of the ideas that we in some cases did not think of prospectively. In other cases, earlier design ideas have ended up being repurposed into new areas of the guitar in what I believe is a better way.