View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I'm not a bug expert, but I know something about bugs that eat organic material, like violin bows (made of horsehair). They're similar to carpet beetles, and they live in the case. They're dealt with by leaving the case open to fresh air and sunlight.

If a guitar is built with hide or fish glue, that's the stuff these beetles love.

I'd be very surprised if it were termites. They live in a nest and usually enter a home through earth-to-wood contact. They also need some moisture. I can't see termites living in a guitar case. Are there any bug experts near you? A college, or master gardener extension? I'd get the guitar out of the case ASAP. Maybe use a bug treatment in the case overnight, then leave it out and open to fresh air (and sunlight if you've got it).
It's definitely not termites as I found a little piece of one old dead bug that I pulled out of one of the tiny holes in the guitar. It looks like a piece of larva, yellow with tiny black dots. I think I'll go ahead and trash the case given what you said. It's not a spectacular case, anyway.

Thanks for the reply!!

Greg