View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Default The fun of doing your own thing with an arrangement

I have this book by Bill Brennan "Irish & Scottish Airs & Ballads for Acoustic Guitar" that I bought and downloaded last year. I was somewhat disappointed with the recordings supplied with the book so I "shelved" it in my Celtic Tab folder and told myself I would revisit it. I suppose the author was going for a "harp-like" effect, but it really put me off from the book. Finally last week I did I decided to give the book another chance and try to see past the tone of the sound tracks. I put my own slightly modified version of his arrangement into GuitarPro as I was learning the tune. I have more to go with it as far as playing it, but I have the entire tab that I want in GuitarPro.

So here is part of Bill Brennan's sound track and below it is me playing the same section, but slightly modified arrangement:

Farewell to Tarwathie (section) original:

My interpretation:

I have some differences later in the tune as well and I should have it posted in Show and Tell sometime over the couple of weeks.

This is what I really enjoy about playing the guitar. This sort of tune is right in line with my skill level and it allows me to enjoy the tone of my guitars and just relax and play. I'll be working on more tunes from this book in the future.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.