View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I was surprised Rainsong didn’t have many more than Emerald. While Emerald is popular on this forum, Rainsong has been in business over 20 years I believe, with a fairly large dealer network. A Reverb search for Rainsong brings up 4 pages of results(some not really related) but a search for Emerald yields 5-10 total results. I have owned both but currently own neither, just surprised by the results.
The Reverb situation makes sense to me: RainSong has dealers, dealers post things for sale on Reverb. Not unusual to see brand spankin' new RainSongs or McPhersons on Reverb, but you will only see the occasional used Emerald on there. A guitar dealer who used to be on this forum frequently related that "RainSong sells more guitars than any of the other CF makers." Since none of the manufacturers regularly release sales figures, we can only interpret what we see, here and on other media. The Emerald Friday shipping videos might lead one to determine 15+ guitar sales per week... but, we don't know what might not make the shipping video. Going by Reverb will only tell you what the majority of listings (from dealers) are being pushed at any particular time.

A poll like this one has a pretty small sample, only taking into account CF players (who participate here) favorites (or currently owned). I don't think we should infer that the results here can be used to determine "who sells the most." And, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter... each person picks (and stays with) the guitar that wins their own "popularity contest." It really doesn't matter who sells more, as long as you get the guitar(s) that pleases you.

I'm glad we have options.

(And for the record: Alistair from Emerald celebrated his 20th anniversary of making guitars in 2018.)